Visiting your grandparents on a Sunday instantly reminds most of us of the smell of soup. Traditionally you would eat vegetable soup or chicken soup when visiting family and afer coffee and cake soup was served! Today it’s a great lunch or part of dinner with some fresh bread on the side. This vegetable soup with meatballs is a simple recipe with maximum flavour. Most Dutch people use store bought stock cubes but feel fee to make your own stock for even better taste! For more body add some vermicelli noodles at the end of the cooking time. We’d even have some letter noodles so you could try and track the letters of your name in the soup. In this recipe you add meatballs but of course that’s optional. You can also replace them for vegetarian meatballs, small slices of omelette or croutons.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 8,5 cups (2 liters) vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 cups (400 grams) vegetables such as carrots, sellery, cauliflower and leek
- 3,5 ounces (100 grams) ground beef
- 3,5 ounces (100 grams) ground pork
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp Paprika powder
- 1/3 cup (30 grams) of bread-crumbs
- 1 tsp of mustard
- Optional: 2 hands full of vermicelli noodles
Directions Vegetable soup with meatballs
- Bring the stock to a boil in a large cookingpan.
- Finely slice and / or chop the vegetables.
- Combine the beef and pork in a bowl.
- Add the egg, salt, pepper, paprika powder, bread-crumbs and musterd.
- Mix it well until thorougly combined and shape into cherry sized meatballs.
- Once the stock is boiling, add the vegetables and meatballs.
- Let the soup simmer for about 35 minutes.
- Add the vermicelli noodles the last 5 minutes if desired.
- Serve the vegetable soup with meatballs with some fresh bread.