This winter dish is a very popular stamppot in The Netherlands. There are many varieties of mashed vegetables and potatoes and this particular one with kale is often eaten with a smoked sausage. The Dutch really like to add bacon cubes to their mash and eat it with gravy, a thick sauce that’s made of the fat from the bacon or other meat. Of course, it’s very easy to make this into a vegetarian meal. Just replace the bacon cubes for vegetarian bacon of even some nuts like walnuts. It’s just nice to add something crispy. Give the kale mashed potatoes with bacon and gravy an extra hint of flavour by adding some mustard and enjoy this comforting Dutch meal!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Kale mashed potatoes
- 2 lb (1 kilo) floury potatoes
- 7,5 cups (500 grams) lightly packed chopped kale
- 2 tbs (30 grams) butter
- 1-2 tbs milk
- salt and pepper
- 200 grams bacon cubes of vegetarian bacon
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) broth
- 1 tbsp or more balsamic vinegar or red wine
Directions kale mashed potatoes with bacon and gravy
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into equal sized pieces.
- Put the potatoes in a large pan filled with water and ½ tsp of salt so the potatoes are just covered with water.
- Bring to a boil and let the potatoes boil on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Heat a skillet and add the bacon cubes.
- Cook the bacon bits on medium high heat and stirr occasionally until they’re crispy.
- Take them out of the skillet but don’t get rid of the fat, save it to make the gravy. Drain the bacon on paper towel.
- Add flour, butter and 2 tbsp of broth to the bacon fat.
- Whisk until it’s a smooth mixture. Then, slowly add some broth until the sauce has the right texture. It should be quite thick but you have to be able to poor it over the kale mashed potatoes.
- The sauce might be a little pale so you can add the balsamic vinegar or wine. It also gives great flavour!
- Season to taste with black pepper and set aside. Just reheat it a few minutes before serving.
- After 10 minutes add the kale to the potatoes and cook for another 10 – 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and you can easily pierce them with the tip of a knife.
- Drain the potatoes and kale well.
- Add the butter and mash everything together.
- Warm the milk in the microwave and combine with the kale mashed potatoes for a creamy result.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the crispy bacon cubes and gravy.