This Dutch snack was initially invented to use the leftover parts of fish that otherwise would be fed to the cat. Nowadays it’s a very popular treat that most people buy when they go shopping at the market or whenever they’re away for the day! Kids love it and for many people it’s tradition to get this treat we call ‘kibbeling’ during the weekend. Fortunately it’s also very easy to make this at home so you can enjoy your fried cod with rémoulade sauce!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1,1 pound (500 grams) fresh cod filets
- ¾ cups (100 grams) flour
- 2/3 cups (150 ml) sparkling water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Sunflower oil for frying
- 4 tbsp mayonaise
- 2 tsp mustard
- 4 pickles
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried taragon
- Pepper and salt
Directions Fried cod with rémoulade sauce
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 360 degrees (180 Celsius).
- Cut the cod filets into bite-sized pieces and pat them dry with paper towel.
- Combine flour, sparkling water, egg yolk and the spices in a bowl.
- Dip the pieces of cod in the batter and slowly drop it, one at a time, in the hot oil.
- Fry the fish, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Continue with the rémoulade sauce. Cut the pickles into small cubes and combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.